What is Twitter?
Twitter describes their service as: “…a real-time information network powered by people all around the world that lets you share and discover what’s happening now.”
For business professionals, like yourself, Twitter is a place to connect with current and prospective customers. You can read messages from other people, also called “tweets”, or start your own conversation. The Twitter term for subscribing to a person’s tweets is “follow”. Every tweet is limited to 140 characters. So communication must be quick and to the point. The service is free so you do not need to make a financial investment to get started.
How to Twitter
It’s easy to send your first tweet.
- Open twitter.com in your web browser
- Click “Join Today”
- Enter your name, password, email, etc. then hit “Create my account”
- The next screen is “Find sources that interest you”. Here you can search the Twitter directory for interesting people to follow.
- On the following screen you can invite people from your email accounts at Gmail, Yahoo, AOL, Linkedin, etc. to follow you on Twitter.
- On the last screen you can search for people already using the Twitter service and follow them.
- After you complete registration you will automatically be logged into the Twitter website. There is a big box near the top labeled “What’s happening?” Type a message in the box like “Hello, my name is John Doe and my company is Acme Inc. Let’s talk business.” That’s it, you just used Twitter to send your first tweet.
Twitter allows you to upload a photo to your account and profile. The profile picture is visible to everyone reading your tweets. It’s also displayed when you reply to another person’s message. Your Twitter headshot or portrait is the first thing someone sees about you on the service. Like in the offline word, a first impression can go a long way. Internet Headshots can help you create a great image and succeed on Twitter.
After your Internet Headshot photo shoot we can walk you through the process of changing your Twitter profile picture.